Monday, March 19, 2018

Kossi-Kossi

This week has been mostly focused on Serge and his family. We did lots of work and we got all the necessary papers sent in for his marriage. He and his wife were so grateful.

This week we wanted to start teaching Serge's wife, Miriss, because she has not yet been taught. The second counselor in the young women’s presidency, Cicile, said she wanted to come with us and I have a huge testimony of the importance of members in missionary work because everything Cicile said was perfect. She totally connected to Miriss and was able to share her own conversion story to help her with her worries. It is so crazy that we were just random strangers when Serge called us over and after a few weeks and teachings of Jesus Christ Serge has said we have become just as close as brothers to him and we will forever be a part of his family. I did not expect this to happen but I realize these are my brothers and sisters I knew them at one point. It was probably pre-destined that we would come to earth and meet each other. This experience with this family is too great to put into words but I’m so happy for them.

Segre, Miriss and their three kids all came to church together and they met the branch president. I was so happy to see a brand new family all smiling together. It’s a huge miracle and I know God was behind it all.

This week we went out into the sector a lot. We have some weird investigators for sure. One funny thing that I’ve noticed is that certain people watch Spanish or Indian soap operas religiously. If you come at a time they should be watching their soap opera they will chase you away or they will be angry and learn nothing. This happened to us this week with a young woman. She comes out and is like I’m mad at you, you came at the wrong time. I’m like you must have a soap opera and she says yes. Knowing the lesson would be pointless I told her to finish it then come back outside. So, we now have 45 minutes to kill in her back yard. We see a well with the inscription kossi kossi and a date. And we were super confused why they would have a grave stone on the side of a well and we assumed kossi kossi must have fallen in the well. We had some fun thinking up stories how this happened. Then we paid our respects to our good friend and brother kossi kossi. May he rest in peace and may someone do his genealogy.

We woke up today and there is something wrong with Martial’s shower and our room flooded. I took a pic, it’s hard to see but lots of Martial’s stuff got wet. There is no way to close off the water so it’s just kinda still filling up, Yikes, I don’t wanna know what it will look like when I get back.

We had an activity today. The first three zone activity since I got on the mission. It was super great. All the missionaries in Benin got together to play basketball, soccer, and football, eat atcheke and talk. It was great, everyone had a great time.

Martial likes pranks and this week he put a bunch of Gold bond powder in my fan and pranked me really good. I then blasted him with my bottle of that stuff. But, that stuff burns the eyes and throat like crazy. It was intense, but pretty harmless, I think.

I got a couple calls this week form people in Finagnon. I miss that place, it was fun. One of the investigators I taught there just got baptized. He is super cool and he called me up to say hi, he was another prepared person.

Time is coming to an end. It feels like just yesterday I got my son. Since then I’ve done Porto-Novo, Finagnon and now I’m about four and a half months from being home. I’m trying to make the most of my studies and finish strong. I also know my comp has to go to Togo next transfer so I wonder what new change will bring in two weeks.

My AKPAKPA zone tie that I ordered when I was with Segal came (a transfer later)

With Martial in the sector

Our room flooded

kossi kossi RIP

Tri-Zone Activity