Monday, March 12, 2018

Bed sheet curse

I don’t know if I’ve talked about this before. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it, but today it was just too much. So, as you know I do laundry by hand and logically one of the hardest things to wash is bed sheets and because you need to dry them outside on the lines it’s always very dangerous. Every single time I’ve washed my sheets something horrible has happened and I’ve had to wash them again. No matter how great the weather looks, it seems to rain on them. If I’m super lucky on the weather they somehow fall on the ground or like in Porto-Novo I cleaned off all the wires I wanted to hang them on because they were dusty. Then right after that I ran bed sheets, except onto a different dirty line getting them dirty again. Today the wind magically un-did the clips and the sheets fell on the ground and I had to wash them again. So, I am permanently cursed by the laundry Gods and I don’t know why.

I want to write out a funny conversation we had with a lady we had an appointment with. We go to her house, knock on the door, a kid answers saying she is not there. We find a little cement spot outside her house to sit to plan a replacement when she calls. Here is how the call went:

“M” is Martial “I” is investigator

M. hello
I. hello did you pass by my house?
M. yes
I. Am I there?
M. I don’t know, are you there?
I. No, I’m not there
M. okay
I. But I’m coming back soon
M. Well, we’re still at your house, we could wait for you
I. No, it’s okay I’m not coming back soon

I talked a little bit about Frere Serge last week. The guy who came to church for the first time and bore his testimony. Well, we taught him more this week and I’ve never found someone more prepared for the gospel, he is fantastic. I feel the spirit so strong every time we teach him. He testifies how he has found his long-lost family and how he has found the gospel he has been searching to bring his family into. The coolest thing is we taught him about chastity because no one here is married legally and the church is holding a collective marriage at the Stake Center in two weeks to help make the civil marriage cheap because it is super expensive. We got him signed up for it and he was so thankful to have been given a chance to start living this commandment he knows God wants him to be living. He has wanted to get married but has never had the chance. But we’re giving it to him and he is so happy. He has finally found the true Christ and His church. He thanks us all the time. So, after the marriage we will baptize him, his wife and his two oldest kids. He has three kids but the youngest is not old enough. I’m so happy I got to be an instrument in God's hands because there was nothing I did. Really, this one was someone God had really prepared.

Quinn Dawson wrote in his weekly email, while serving in Sweden, that he doesn’t say it enough but he loves being a missionary. I thought about that because I don’t think I’ve ever really said that because my mission experience has been the hardest and there was also a bunch of really crappy things that happened this week but seeing Serge and the other little blessings of being here. So, there is a first time for everything. I do love being a missionary.

The dirty sheets

Taxi Ride: Ellison, Bein Aime, Martial, Me

Weird bruise on my nose