Monday, October 30, 2017

The Witnesses Hat

A week has passed in the blink of an eye. I have a feeling I only have a month left in this sector with my son and I’m scared. I have so much more I want to do in this place. And the time I have is just not enough and it’s such a change from the first half of my mission.

This week me and my son went ham on our sector because we needed to at least double our number of serious investigators. We had some pretty cool experiences.

One of my favorites was being called over by an old papa, named Do___, he is an ex-Jehovah witness and has practically memorized the entire bible, and the same thing with his son, he has read the bible like 100 times or something. And you know what’s great about people who know the bible more than anything they are super ready to accept the gospel of our church! It’s only the people who don’t read or understand the bible who are really hard to teach. If you understand the bible you understand the bible is complicated it’s not always easy to understand and there are many human errors and mis-translations and mis-interpretations, mixed with much truth and light. For years papa Do___ has searched for truth but as he sees the churches of today and with the bible he reads and cries because he doesn’t understand anything anymore. Then Elder Larson and his son came in and he thinks he has found the light, we gave him the Book of Mormon and he is super interested. When we told him about the plan of salvation he was with us the whole time. All the truths that are not clear in the bible we showed him are clear in the Book of Mormon, I’m so glad we found this man.

Along with your cool investigators there is always the weird ones. There is this one dude that stopped me and Kadima back in the day and he talks a ton but never lets you talk. He asks weird questions but doesn’t listen to your answers, he loves talking about the time he has spent living in every country in the world even though we know he is lying and has never left Togo. And no matter where we are in the sector we always seem to bump into him, he is such a weird dude. Every time he comes up to us he has something weird to say. This last week he came up to us for the third time that week in another weird spot in our sector and asked if we could baptize him right then and there. We said yes because we like messing with him, so we told him he just needs to come to church on Sunday, he said he could only if we called him at 5h30 in the morning on Sunday. If it was 5h31 it was too late and he couldn’t come so we set our alarms that day and called him on the dot but he didn’t answer, nor come to church, we knew he was a pathetic liar but it was such a weird request we just had to do it to see.

Many, many, many people think we are Jehovah Witnesses. I know I’ve said it before but most people don’t like Jehovah Witnesses either, like a general hatred is felt towards them kinda. Any way when we present our self in French I often say, we are missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we are not Jehovah Witnesses. When you say that everyone gets more interested for some reason, any way this week my son found an old straw hat in our apartment and decided to wear it but the thing is all Jehovah Witnesses I’ve ever seen in Togo wear straw hats, and all of our investigators teased him about converting to a rival church, it was super funny.

My son often says he is single with no wife and no kids I often tell him saying your single means you don’t have a wife automatically, he refuses. He also says that reality and truth are two different ideas but I don’t think so. We talk a lot so these are some of our favorite topics to argue about.

Things are going well lots of people coming to church with all the efforts I’m doing, working hard, laughing a lot things are good and time is flying.

Kouadio finds a straw hat