Monday, October 2, 2017

Assimilation

I’m trying my best to become one with the work and one with this country. I’m learning a little bit of their language and every lunch instead of eating at the apartment we eat from someone selling on the street. It’s a little dangerous but we find the nice mamas that we know don’t cook with typhoid and we eat with the people, it feels great.

My name is Elder Larson and pronounced in French it sounds like Lawson a little bit. Which is the name of white people who came to the north of Togo and gave that name to a tribe, so many people here that come from that part of Togo have the last name Lawson. Every time someone presents themself they say they come from a certain village here, so I just say I come form that same Togo village. It makes them laugh a lot, you know because I’m white and white people are weird.

This week we didn’t have many appointments fall through. We have found a lot of people to teach and the days flew by. We found some people with some big problems however we are there to tell everyone that through the gospel you can find happiness, and its great because it’s true and we have an amazing message. The guy that wanted to kill himself is now begging us to let him get baptized but he needs to get married first with his wife, so that is a little problem but its okay.

Fun fact here: telling people they are fat or got fat is a complement. It won’t be forever (only while I am here) that I get to tell someone they are fat and they smile and are like thanks. My son (Kouadio) has gotten fat, this is how I learned this. He showed me a pic before his mission and he has gained so much weight mostly in the MTC, and I’m like woah you got fat, and he is like, I know thanks. That’s how if found this out. And you can say that to anyone, even woman, and it’s a good thing. And if they got skinny and you say that they think it’s an insult, kind of interesting.

Yeah I’m working hard, lots of small miracles, sadly it was general conference and I didn’t get to watch. I love general conference but because of that instead of inviting people to church we had to tell everyone not to come and many were sad that they couldn’t come to church because we weren’t having normal church. It was sad because just a few weeks ago we had no one at church now we have to turn people away. They broadcasted conference at the stake center, but there was not enough space for me to watch so I missed it all but I’m sure it was great.

Okay that’s all for the moment.

With Kouadio

I got a new rule book