Monday, July 2, 2018

Fidjrossé, a great place to die

Let's do the numbers. This week I walked into my 7th area on the mission I met my 12th companion and I feel like this is the perfect situation in which to die on the mission. There was a super cool young man waiting for his baptism his name is Marsel and he became my 25th baptism this week.

Fidjrossé is a cool sector. It’s right by the beach, it’s also right by the airport. So, the constant sound of airplanes talking off is great to help me concentrate on the mission. However, I do feel super focused on the work. There is a lot of work to be doing in Fidjrossé. Like I said we got to baptize a young man. He had participated in that big celebration of the 100th stake last week. I didn’t get to know him for much before his baptism, but he asks a lot of good questions and we clicked pretty fast. He chose me to do his baptism, so that was cool.

Sadly, as I have said, something has to go wrong for the baptism curse. When we got to the building where we were supposed to do the baptism (because our ward building has no baptismal font) the font was not filled yet again. But this has happened so many times on my mission it was barely a shock. We just started filling up the font and pushed the baptism back two hours.

I have talked about how when it rains it floods everything, right? Well this Sunday either Satan had control of the weather or God really wanted to test the faith of the members and investigators of the church because it rained hard all Saturday night and all Sunday morning. The streets were soaked. We had to do some crazy routes like climbing in trees, over cars, hop on stones and bricks to avoid falling into huge lakes that had formed on the streets. A walk that normally takes 15mins to the church took 45mins. When we got there, just on time at 9h00 there were only three members at the church building. It kept raining all of church. People slowly came in, but going home was a nightmare with even more water. As I have said before, if it rains in Benin it’s as if the church is no longer true. Let’s just say that no missionaries in our whole mission had investigators that came to church last Sunday.

I’m with my new companion, Elder Gardner from Idaho. He is cool. I’m also in the apartment with a missionary from Togo who is waiting for a visa to go on his real mission to Sierra Leone. He is cool; he is working with what we call a mini-missionary. A member here in Benin who comes early in the morning, works with him the whole day, and leaves at night to sleep at his house. It is cool because between the two of them they speak all the tribal languages people know. We are doing our best to pick up phrases and work with them. It’s pretty fun. I’ve never lived with either of those nationalities before. I’m also a district leader for four sisters so I’m trying to help them out as well.

Things are going good.
Final picture with Gbego kids

New Companion, Elder Gardner

Baptism in Fidjrosse